Thursday, March 25, 2010

OYA 3/24

So many things going through my mind.  Yeah, I was still terrified, in shock, worried, upset, etc.  But I was also bored outta my mind!

For those of you lucky enough to have avoided bedrest, the idea may seem appealing to you.  Getting to lie around and have everyone wait on you hand and foot.  Don't even need to lift a finger.  Well, the joy of that lasts for about 4-6 hours.  Then it gets old.  And you get that "I've been lying around for too long headache."  It doesn't go away.  I had only been on bedrest for 10 days, and I was batty.  I can't imagine having to do this for months.

So, my day consisted of sleeping in late.  We got to a point of stability, so the nurses would leave me be until I was up.  At least the nice ones would.  Eating, ugh.  I'd rather not, but I did.  Lots of pretty awful TV.  I could tell what time it was bsed on what was on TV, at least on weekdays.  Regis and Kelly, the View, All My Children, Bonnie Hunt, Ellen, Rachael Ray, and those sleezy entertainment "news" magazines were my friends.  I'd play Skipbo or Cribbage with whichever family member was on duty at the time.  I tried to read, but it's tough to stay awake for long while reading in bed.I'd hope on facebook from time to time, but mostly just to play games.  I couldn't quite bring myself to updating friends and family on our situation.  While we were holding steady, it was still all-too precarious.

Anne from one of my schools brought in a goodie bag for me!  She must have read my mind.  My awesome language department, along with our buddies the business department, all chipped in, and Anne bought some things for me that might keep me busy.  Gossip magazines, sudoku, hand-held solitare (that has now gone through about 5 battery changes), and a digital picture frame.  She knew I always had lots of pictures of Jaime around, and she knew that I wasn't able to be with him all the time, so maybe this would help.  It was so wonderful.  I still use the tote everything was in as a purse in the spring/summer as it is so bright and cheery.

Most people wouldn't think much of something like this, but it made a huge difference to me.  It kept me connected and gave me a little fun to think about instead of always thinking doom and gloom.  'Cause we all know that is my specialty.

1 comment:

  1. i was lucky enough to be able to work from home on my laptop both times i was on bedrest (once on the couch, once in a recliner). it was uncomfortable but like you said, so worth it to avoid the boredom. i had memorized my tv schedules too. i became awesome at sudoku. for me it wasn't headaches, it was the constant backache. i remember how excited i would get about being able to go up to the bathroom. just standing up felt sooo good.

    ReplyDelete