Tuesday, March 23, 2010

OYA 3/23

Ok, today was not fun.  But not for reasons one might expect.

We were one week out from surgery.  I couldn't believe it.  Here I was, still in the good ole hospital, but still pregnant.  Who'd a thunk it?  I had permission to get up and walk to the bathroom.  Still a scary endeavour every time, but it was manageable. 

So today, Mother "f&cking" Nature had to try and ruin our fun.  Tornadoes.  Seriously.  We had a tornado warning here.  In Nebraska.  In March.  And I was stuck on the top floor of a hospital.  Are you freakin' kidding me?  I was in the south tower.  Guess which way the tornado was coming from?  From the south.  REALLY?  So, as procedure demanded, the nurses rolled all of us ladies, every single one, out of our rooms and lined us up in the hallway in our beds.  Now that was a pretty sight.  Yikes.  Overhead speakers kept us abrest of the weather since no one was supposed to be in a room.  But a number of non-patients got impatient and would wander into a room to check out the news.  Me, I wouldn't let David check in our room because, get this, the seal on our window was broken!  So, in other words, if the tornado did hit, my room was A-1 screwed.  I could hear the rain pounding and the wind howling.  When we did peak in - come on, we were there for about 90 minutes and needed entertainment - you could see the curtains swaying a bit.  Seriously?  I must be cursed.

And of COURSE it was right about this time that I needed to use the restroom.  Like NOW.  Thus a dilemma.  Docs said don't "hold it" as the additional pressure could weaken the cerclage.  I won't go into details, but you might be able to get the gist of it.  Dash as fast as a hospitalized, terrified, non-mobile preggo could into my bathroom, then dash right out?  So after bugging many nurses, I took my chances.  Cover me!  Really, those hospital gowns don't leave much to the imagination from behind.

No surprise now that all turned out fine and the tornado skipped most of the city itself, but at the time, I just wanted to kick Mother Nature in the face.  Then take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment